About Christopher Wirth
Chris focuses his practice on State and Federal litigation, family law, criminal law, and mediation. Chris was named by his peers as the 2022 Top Criminal Defense Attorney in Grand Rapids, as published by Grand Rapids Magazine. He has earned numerous other awards and acknowledgments, which include receiving a Special Tribute from the Michigan Legislature and Governor for his advocacy in Child Welfare Law.
- Represented clients in more than 3,000 court hearings
- Tried more than 150 cases to verdict
- Successfully handled numerous life offense cases, including charges of open murder, first degree criminal sexual conduct, weapons and drugs crimes.
- Successfully handled cases throughout Michigan, including in the counties of Kent, Ottawa, Allegan, Barry, Berrien, Ionia, Kalamazoo, Macomb, Mecosta, Montcalm, Muskegon, Newaygo, Oakland, Osceola, Van Buren, and Wayne.
- Successfully represented clients in the federal courts for the Western and Eastern Districts of Michigan
- Represented over 500 children who were victims of child abuse and neglect, and represents wrongfully accused parents in child abuse cases and violations of their constitutional right to parent. Chris is a member of the National Association of Counsel for Children. The NACC is the only organization providing a certification in Child Welfare Law that is recognized by the American Bar Association.
- Served as a past Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of Michigan representing the Michigan Public Service Commission
- Externed in the United States District Court (ND Ohio) and interned in the Ottawa County (MI) Prosecutor's Office during law school
- Served as General Counsel and Chief Financial Officer to a nationally ranked, commercial construction company
“I have had the pleasure of working with Mr. Wirth - often as opposing counsel - in family court, including several trials. He is a knowledgeable and skilled attorney. Most significantly, however, he possesses innate psychological understanding and quick wit that together translate into excellent courtroom skill. I would endorse him to anyone facing serious legal challenges in family or criminal law.” Attorney Michael Brown
'Chris -- you gave your client one of the best defenses I've seen in a long while.' Adam Dreher, Ionia County Assistant Prosecutor
- Named 2022 Top Criminal Defense Attorney in Grand Rapids by Grand Magazine.
- Represents the 20th Circuit on the Representative Assembly of the State Bar of Michigan.
- Appointed by the Michigan Supreme Court to its Court Improvement Statewide Task Force on Child Welfare.
- Served on the Judicial Qualifications Committee by the State Bar of Michigan Board of Commissioners.
- Served on the Governor's Task Force on Child Abuse and Neglect under two Governors.
- Served on the Ottawa County Bar Association Board of Directors.
- Served on the Representative Assembly to the Outreach & Hearings Committee of the State Bar of Michigan
- Publicly endorsed in his 2016 judicial campaign by Kent County Judges TJ Ackert, Patrick Hillary, Jeff O’Hara, George Quist and Paul Sullivan
- Received the Paul J. Hergenroeder Award for Outstanding Success in Trial Advocacy
- Nominated for the 2018 Lawyer-Guardian Ad Litem of the Year Award given by the Michigan Foster Care Review Board
- Named a 2015 Michigan Top Lawyer in corporate law
- Named a Super Lawyers Rising Star in business law in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016
- AVVO Attorney Rating of “Superb” in business law, family law and criminal law
'Chris has the respect of his colleagues because he believes our laws must be applied without political or personal bias,' Abraham Gonzales, past President of the Ottawa County Bar Association
- Taught Article 9 Secured Transactions as a visiting law professor at WMU-Cooley Law School
- Taught Entertainment Law and Sports Law as an adjunct professor at WMU-Cooley Law School
- Taught business law as an adjunct in the management department at Grand Valley State University
- Chris is a member of the National Association of Counsel for Children. The NACC is the only organization providing a certification in Child Welfare Law that is recognized by the American Bar Association.
- Conducts training on abuse and neglect cases, and the role of the Attorney-Guardian Ad Litem for the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services and its contract agencies
- Speaks on the importance of foster care resources and recruiting
“Chris is trusted by Ottawa County to care for our most vulnerable citizens,” Steve Eckert, retired Director of Bethany Christian Services
- Solutions and outcome oriented
- Experienced mediator
- Certified domestic facilitative mediator and satisfied all of the Michigan State Court Administrative Office's domestic relations and domestic violence training requirements under MCR 3.216
Areas of Law
- Criminal Defense
- Drug Crimes
- Sex Crimes
- Assault and Battery
- White Collar Crimes
- Family Law
- Divorce Mediation Services
- Child Custody
- Child Abuse Litigation
- Child Welfare Law
- Constitutional Right to Parent
- 2006, Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Class of 2006, J.D.
- cum laude
- Grand Valley State University, M.B.A.
- Hope College, B.A.
Associations & Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan
- Ottawa County Bar Association - Board of Directors
- National Association of Counsel for Children